Youth Day has to be my favorite day of the year in Winters. There is this amazing feeling of community spirit that swells up as Youth Day approaches and the town just buzzes with excitement. Its also one of the few events that gets the whole town involved, as half the town is in the parade and the other half spectates.
The recipe for a fun-filled Youth Day may look a bit like this:
- start with a stack of flapjacks at the Rotary Pancake Breakfast
- if you didn’t eat too many pancakes, add a 5k Fun Run
- mix in mimosas and breakfast potluck as you get into costume
- slowly wait for the PARADE to start
- sashay down Main St and dazzle the judges with your extravagant costume
- then repeat step 3 with a gin fizz and a lunch potluck
- next head off and eat for hours and hours as you visit house parties and festivals around town
- if you are still awake, dash over to the Palms for the Mumbo Gumbo concert/dance party
I set my departure date based on my desire to leave town with my heart and soul filled with the energy and love of Youth Day. It did not disappoint.
Thank you to the Queen Bee for organizing the swarm and my Fairy Godmother who transformed my dress into a thing of beauty. More parade photos by Gerry.